Sunday 28 July 2019

Do I Have a Bad Case of Depression?

I get suicidal thoughts sometimes. I know I would never act on these and they aren’t usually that serious but they worry me. I think I might have depression. But not the hat bad. I do things slowly (which apparently is suppose doing to be a sign). And a few things (not that many) don’t give me the same amount of joy they used to. I often think I am a failure but sometime in am cocky. I also have a hard time sleeping. I have been in pushing away the fact that this might be depression because I feel that people fake it sometimes. Is this depression? And if so, should I go see someone about it.?

It’s impossible to give a diagnosis over the Internet. Any time you are experiencing concerning symptoms, it is wise to consult a professional, in-person. You would consult a professional if you needed a lawyer, help with your taxes, or you had a dental problem. It’s the same thing when it comes to mental health — you consult a professional. Mental health professionals have specialized knowledge in an area they have rigorously studied for years. One should always consult professionals when possible. To answer your direct question, yes you should “see someone” and that person is a mental health professional.

One way to find a good mental health professional is to ask your primary care physician for a referral. Sometimes they know people in the community who can help. You can also do a Google search for mental health professionals in your community. There are reviews of mental health professionals available via the internet. You want to choose at least three or four, call them and speak to them on the phone. Tell them about the issues you would like help with and ask how they would help you. Choose the one you feel you connect with the best and meet with them in person. That will likely be your best choice.

Suicidal thoughts are always concerning. Their presence suggests that you are experiencing an abnormal level of distress. You also mentioned that you do things slowly but I’m not certain what you mean by that. Sometimes doing things slowly is what is necessary.

Having difficulty sleeping is sometimes indicative of depression. Some people with depression sleep a lot and some people with depression don’t sleep much at all.

If I were able to interview you in person, I would have many questions. What, if anything, has changed lately? When did this begin? Did something happen in your life that has caused your depression? What could explain the changes you have described in this letter? If depression is present, it doesn’t come out of nowhere. Something had to have caused you to feel this way. It would obviously be tremendously helpful if you could identify the potential underlying cause of these feelings.

Try to think about what may be wrong or what may have started this. You might try keeping a diary or journal in which you track your thoughts and feelings. It can be quite therapeutic. It could also assist you in understanding the origins of this issue and in potentially uncovering patterns that you may have overlooked. Writing can also help to clarify your thinking. Studies have indicated that there are many psychological health benefits to writing.

It’s good that you are aware of these potential problems and that you are open to seeking help. Being open to treatment significantly increases your probability of success. If depression is present, counseling could help you a great deal. I hope you will give it a try. Good luck and please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle



from Depression – Ask the Therapist https://ift.tt/2YaIXCj
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment