Thursday 22 November 2018

A Friend of Mine Has Recently Felt that They Want to Hurt People & Is Having Dreams About It Too

Recently my friend has told me that they are having issues with having the feeling that they want to hurt random people that they do not know. When I asked them about it, they said that they had:
– a weird want to hurt people that they do not know.
– dreams about hurting others that they do not know.
And before I asked them the next questions I reminded them that I was there for them and they could stop my questions anytime that they wanted.

I asked them when they had felt this way and they had said random times when at school and at home. I then asked if they had ever thought about hurting their family and got no response.
After that I asked what they had done when feeling that way and they had said nothing, that they didn’t want to talk about it, and that it stresses them out. Seeing as my friend was upset about it I changed the topic and quickly after that they hung up (we were talking on the phone, very impersonal I know, but they had said they didn’t want to talk in person or over text.)

I really need some help here because my friend does have anxiety, but has also suffered from depression in the past few years. They get very “down” at random times and it worries me. This is the first time that they have ever told me about this and I am unsure if they have ever felt this way before.

This is not a problem you can solve. Your friend would be best served by consulting a mental health professional. Suggest that they do so. Hopefully they will take your advice. There’s very little else that you can do.

Sometimes people feel this way when they are depressed or have problems in their lives that they don’t know how to solve. It’s unclear what’s wrong but no matter the problem, treatment could help. Your best course of action is support and encouraging them to seek help.

You might also consider reporting your concerns to the guidance counselor or another trusted adult. Another option is to tell the parents or your friends’ parents. It is always wise to reach out for help. Avoid attempting to “fix” this on your own. Professional intervention is needed. In the event of an emergency, call the authorities. I hope this helps. Thank you for your question.

Dr. Kristina Randle



from Ask the Therapist https://ift.tt/2FBQ1iw
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment