Friday 22 February 2019

Why Am I Dysfunctional?

I have been trying to figure out what’s the matter with me for the last 3 years. I was first diagnosed with depression and tried a bunch of SSRIs that had no good or bad effect on me. I then did a sleep study and was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia. I was put on modafinil and it helped a little bit but eventually wore off and now I’m on armodafinil which has even less of an effect than modafinil did. The doc also prescribed Lexapro (which i’ve been on before) with the armodafinil and this time around it made me feel kind of depressed. The doctor took me off of it (this is a sleep doctor by the way) and explained that since I had a bad reaction to the Lexapro that i may have Bi-polar Depression. I don’t fit the signs of this but upon trying to relate to this condition I stumbled upon ADHD symptoms, how it is confused with depression, and how it can go undetected. The symptoms of ADHD fit me like a glove. I am forgetful, I lose things to an extreme that it disrupts my life. I have had anxiety since I was a child, I’m restless, impulsive, impatient, I have very bad fidgeting and nail-biting habits, I zone out on conversations, I have had drug and alcohol addictions in the past, I drink coffee all day and all night long, and my husband is put through hell trying to keep up with and clean up my messes, I even have to keep my cards and ID in his wallet so that I don’t lose them. I also am very unorganized and messy and I stress myself out and beat myself up for it on a daily basis to the point that I exert more energy fighting with myself to fold the laundry than it would take to fold the laundry. Do you think I may have ADHD? PS: most of these symptoms have been present my entire life, I have always had trouble in school but have been told I am very smart. The only reason that I graduated after years of Ds and F grades is that I transferred to an alternative school.

Thanks for reaching out and asking about these symptoms. Because so many folks have given an opinion I would try to take some of the guesswork out of this and make an appointment with a clinical psychologist who does testing. This type of professional uses not only clinical judgment, but sophisticated tests that help to evaluate your strengths and relative weaknesses. More than this, they offer specific suggestions for how to deal with it.

In the best of all worlds find a neuro-psychologist who does the testing as he or she may have even more specific tests to identify the problem and the potential solution.

I admire your persistence in looking for a solution to these difficult issues.

Wishing you patience and peace,
Dr. Dan
Proof Positive Blog @ PsychCentral



from Ask the Therapist https://ift.tt/2EpfAAG
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment