Thursday 29 September 2016

Worried about My Son

From the U.S.: I am pretty much concerned about my 2-year-old son. About 5 months ago, me & my husband noticed that he constantly crosses his fingers (like when you cross them for good luck) with both hands. After researching, I felt scared. I found a lot of websites mentioning those type of finger movements as early indicators for autism. He has no delay in language, however, and he does point at things when he wants them. He also smiles, but does’t interact. Later, my fear increased after noticing he NEVER plays with his toys in a “normal” way. He only picks them up and throws them. He doesn’t look at me most of the time, and he throws horrible tantrums when guests come to our house, and when being picked up. What is the best thing to do right now?

A: What you need to do is get him evaluated! I understand why it may be frightening. I understand why there may be a part of you that doesn’t really want to know. But the fact is that early detection is key to getting help for your child if he is on the autism spectrum.

Talk to your pediatrician about whether there is an Early Intervention Program in your area. If so, contact them right away. If not, ask the doctor for recommendations about where to go for an evaluation and recommendations.

Time matters. Please don’t wait to get the information and the support you and your son need.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie



from Ask the Therapist http://ift.tt/2cNssCZ
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment