Wednesday 25 July 2018

What Kind of Help Is Best for Me?

From the U.S.: I believe I am bi-polar. I don’t believe in talk therapy, but something is wrong with my head. I don’t know how else to describe this. I am an educator and have serious issues with the fact that I can not control my own brain. Can you tell me how a psychologist or psychiatrist could actually help me without just explaining their job? What kind of help could they give me besides medicine- which I have?

It is difficult for me to trust people and I don’t want to tell some long story about my life so someone can blame my issues on my parents. Please help me explain how I can get help that is more than me taking to people about issues that are in the past. What would you say to someone like me?

Since you are an educator, I hope you are open to some education: Just as there are many ways to teach different learners with different learning styles, there are many ways to help people with “talk therapy”. The success of therapy is largely a function of the “fit” between the client and the therapist’s approach. All talk therapy is not focused on blaming parents or digging into the past.

To address your concerns, I encourage you to find a therapist who works with cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Briefly, CBT helps the client identify and change thoughts that are disruptive and that get in the way of positive change. CBT focuses on solutions, not digging for reasons. The therapist will give you support while you challenge thoughts and beliefs so you can change destructive patterns of behavior. Do go on the web and find out more information about CBT. I think you will find it reassuring.

The treatment of choice for many mental health challenges is a combination of medication and talk therapy so I hope you will explore CBT as an option.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie



from Ask the Therapist https://ift.tt/2Aaugn1
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment