Wednesday 22 November 2017

I Talk & Act Out Scenarios with Myself

So to begin, I have been having this issue for about 8 years now.

I have noticed that I actively engage in A-B conversations with myself both in my head and outloud. I usually do it without even realizing and when I do, I stop myself. It’s usually either about myself or someone close to me. Or just something out of the blue.

I also notice that I act out these fantasy scenarios. I can’t explain it too well. It’s like I imagine myself and others with me and act out all of them usually in a fun or weird scenario that wouldn’t normally happen in my life; like having super powers for example.

I usually do these things when I’m alone. Like at home alone or driving alone. I never do it when others are around since I’m very shy.

I can’t help but find this odd but at the same time, find a sense of ease and happiness out of it. That’s why I’ve done it or so long now.

I honestly don’t really know if I should stop. I’m not sure if it’s me overreacting or if it’s something more mental deep down.

If you can, can you explain what I might be going through? Thank you.

A. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with talking to yourself out loud. You do it in private. It brings you a sense of ease and happiness. It’s not harmful and, in fact, it seems beneficial.

Some research suggests that talking out loud may be a sign of intelligence. You might consider it an extension of the inner self talk that we all engage in. It may help to clarify one’s thinking, organize one’s thoughts or control our behavior.

Research has also shown that it’s common for sports professionals to talk out loud during competitions. Some believe that it sharpens their mindset and leads to a more competent performance.

Talking out loud may be a form of psychological distancing. The distancing might serve as a more objective perspective rather than a subjective or potentially biased one.

Some people simply find it preferable to talk to themselves out loud in certain circumstances. It could help you to stay grounded and focused on the task at hand. For reasons not entirely understood, it is common for people to do it in grocery stores when trying to remember what items they need to purchase.

Research supports the idea that it’s a positive form of self-focus and motivation. For you personally, it has been helpful and there are no obvious drawbacks. I don’t see any reason why you should stop but that decision is ultimately up to you. I hope this helps. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle



from Ask the Therapist http://ift.tt/2B2ssrU
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment