Wednesday 24 April 2019

My Mother Mostly Wants to Decide for Me; She Doesn’t Trust People That Much

I met a guy recently and my mistake was I told him what my mother thought of him. The second time they met my guy raised his voice and he made his eyes big. I also noticed he mostly doesn’t let my mother finish what she is saying. The guy and I were fine. We have known each other since January. I ended the relationship he still wants to try but I don’t know he still wants after my response to him. He won’t apologize to my mother, he apologized to me. Did I do the right thing? (From the Philippines)

You did the right thing given the situation at the moment. However, you list your age is 35 and being that wrapped up in your mother’s opinion and decisions about your love life needs to change. You are a grown woman — not a 14 year-old.

The issue is bigger than just this relationship. You may have to individuate more at this point in your life. You give your mother too much power if she has to be pleased with the men to bring home. This may be time for you to have more emotional independence from her.

Wishing you patience and peace,
Dr. Dan
Proof Positive Blog @ PsychCentral



from Ask the Therapist http://bit.ly/2UElLpo
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment