Wednesday 30 October 2019

Unwanted Thoughts Regarding Anatomy

Ok so this is going to sound stupid and my friends just think I’m a ‘wuss’ but I’m not sure they understand.

I hate blood, which isn’t exactly out of the ordinary but it’s more than that- I hate the fact that I have blood inside me, I hate that my heart beats and things move inside of me. This and the the thought of things going wrong with my body and needing an operation (which is one of my worst fears) makes me feel physically sick and has recently been causing me some distress and panic. These thoughts and images (such as being injured in a car crash) keep popping into my head randomly, this morning I was on the way to school and I randomly thought of the fact that there is blood moving around inside me and it made me feel sick and awful. It’s been getting worse recently and I have no idea what to do. I don’t want to admit it to anyone because I think that it will cause me to be ill or in an accident that requires surgery, which I know is stupid but I genuinely believe it.

My mums a doctor and I don’t think she would understand and my other family members would probably just laugh at me but it’s been effecting me every day and I feel like crying and I just don’t know what to do. I’m not sure if it’s relevant but I display some symptoms of ocd (ritualistic behaviour and avoidance of certain numbers) which have always been there for as long as I can remember.

What do u think I should do? Honestly any guidance would be appreciated because I’m at an absolute loss here?

Thanks, and sorry once again that this is so stupid.

First and foremost, nothing that you’ve written was stupid in any way. Having this kind of problem doesn’t make you stupid. I admire your willingness to seek help.

Secondly, what you have described could be a phobia or a related anxiety disorder. You mentioned that you have displayed some symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). It’s possible that this is a progression of those symptoms.

OCD is an anxiety disorder that is characterized by symptoms of obsessions and compulsions. Many people have both. Obsessions involve repeated thoughts or urges that cause anxiety. Compulsions involve repetitive behaviors that an individual with OCD feels compelled to engage in.

OCD is a common anxiety disorder. It affects people across all ages of the spectrum but most people are diagnosed around the age of 19. Research indicates that the exact cause of OCD is unknown but many researchers attribute it to a combination of genetics, environment and potentially abnormalities in brain structure and functioning.

Too often, people dismiss anxiety as not being a serious problem. Untreated OCD can worsen over time. The good news is that it is highly treatable.

Treatments for OCD involve psychotherapy and/or medication. Some people prefer a combination of both but each case is different. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) as well as exposure and response prevention (ERP) are to highly effective treatments for OCD.

You stated that your mother is a doctor but you don’t think that she will understand nor will your family members. Not only will they not understand, in your mind, but they are also going to laugh at you. I highly doubt that this will happen. They will likely be thankful that you came to them and will assist you in finding the right treatment.

In fact, they may be able to relate. Research has shown that anxiety is one of the most common mental health disorders in the United States. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, nearly 1/3 of all adolescents and adults have reported symptoms of anxiety. You’re not alone in your anxiousness.

I would highly recommend speaking to your parents about this issue. If it’s easier, you might give them the letter that you wrote to us here at Psych Central. It presents your symptoms in an easy to understand way. Your letter could also help them to understand some of the fear and shame you have around the possibility of having an anxiety disorder. Giving them that letter would be a good place to start.

There’s no shame in experiencing anxiety. Virtually everyone will experience anxiety at some point in their course of their lives. Some will experience it worse than others. Thankfully, treatments do exist and it can be corrected. Thank you for your question. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle



from Ask the Therapist https://ift.tt/2NotWEI
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment