Friday 29 July 2016

How Do I Stop Projecting Myself onto Others?

From Germany: I am male/32/IT professional, Bipolar 2. When i talk to someone, i project myself on other person and give long, explanatory answers.

In interview, when HR asks me questions regarding my personality, i get excited and i talk a lot necessarily. I make cheap humor and can not differentiate between situation like with friends, professionals etc…

My question is how to stop projecting own self and become silent.
Thanks!!

A: What you are describing is difficulty with social skills. John Elder Robison wrote a book called Be Different. In it, he talks about the many ways he has learned to work around his Aspergers diagnosis.

I’m not suggesting you have Aspergers. I don’t have enough information to even guess if that may be part of the difficulty. What I am suggesting is that you have some things to learn from Robison. He too had to work on social skills. He created his own self-improvement tasks, worked at them, and is now a very successful businessman. His story is both inspiring and practical. I encourage you to take a look at that book.

You would also benefit from some therapy. A therapist can help you identify areas you need to work on and develop strategies for handling those areas. In addition, a therapist will provide you with ongoing encouragement and support.

You are motivated and smart. If you commit to a self-improvement project, there is every reason to believe you will be successful.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie



from Ask the Therapist http://ift.tt/2avQPU8
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment