Friday 23 February 2018

My Parents Won’t Let Me Get Help

I have a history of mental illnesses in my family – my mum has diagnosed anxiety, my dad is probably depressed, and my older brother has diagnosed depression and anger issues.
I think I need to see someone, I get incredibly stressed all the time,I have serious trouble talking to people and I tried to commit suicide. But my mum refuses to let me seek help. She didn’t have success with her own therapist, and my brother’s convinced him that all his problems were mum’s fault, so she stopped taking him. Now she hates psychiatry and anyone associated with it, and won’t let me see anyone. I can’t organise it myself because I’m underage, and I’m terrified I might have another breakdown and actually kill myself this time.
How can I seek help without my parent’s involvement? And if I do manage to get help, how can I keep it a secret from my mum? If she finds out, she won’t let me go.

A. I’m sorry that this is happening to you. I would recommend speaking to your school guidance counselor or another trusted faculty member. They can help you at school. They can provide counseling and address all of your needs or find someone who can. The fact that you are considering suicide is evidence of the seriousness of this issue. I urge you to seek help immediately.

If you feel that you might harm yourself, contact emergency services. You can do that multiple ways including calling 911, going to the local hospital, or calling or texting the national suicide hotline. The phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. The crisis text line information is the following: text HOME to 741741 in the United States. They will know how to protect you.

Many people are not born into ideal living circumstances, but they have endured and so can you. One must prosper in spite of our unpleasant living conditions. Life will not always be this difficult. There will be better days.

The most effective way to overcome these issues is with counseling and other types of proven treatments. You should never think that ending your life is an effective problem-solving strategy. Don’t only take my word for it. Read stories about people who have survived suicide attempts. They didn’t want to die; they wanted their pain to end and had to learn the hard way that trying to end one’s life was wrong.

Check out the story of Kevin Hines. His story should convince you that what I am saying is true. He, like others who survived their attempts at suicide, were thankful that they had survived. You could learn a great deal from reading their stories.

I hope you do the right thing and ask for help. Good luck.

Dr. Kristina Randle



from Ask the Therapist http://ift.tt/2otMAyG
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment