Monday 24 September 2018

Am I on the Spectrum?

I have battled with my idiosyncrasies since I was a little girl. I always thought I was merely particular, maybe slightly obsessive. However, after having a child my “sensitivities” if you will, have become markedly more intense. My skin has always been hypersensitive. In fact, I cut my hair multiple times, not bc I’m Daring as I let people believe, but because the individual hairs touching my skin drive me up a wall. Almost to the point of anger. Certain sounds make me want to curl up in a ball or scream. I don’t want this sort of thing influencing the way my child learns to cope with emotions. I have certain ways every little thing needs to be done and I feel like the world is ending when those systems are disrupted. A way of organizing the cabinets, a way of organizing the fridge, a way to load the dishwasher. I have panic attacks when I think about all of the things that are out of order while having a child and it exhausts me. I am severely socially apprehensive although I can mask it. I grew up with many siblings in a very abusive household and had to develop qualities that could help me protect my siblings and form lifelines outside of our home. I struggle every day to leave the house and go to a noisy bar and talk to people all night.

I guess I said all of that to say this: Could I be on the autism/Asperger spectrum, or is this even something I should explore further? Something is off, I know it I’m just struggling with finding a person to see about it. The thought makes me want to hide in a closet.lol

Thank you for bringing us your concern. It would not be possible for me to make an accurate diagnosis, but it seems more like social anxiety is the concern. You may want to read about the from Psych Central’s Steve Bressert here. In any case, your concerns are something a therapist should be able to help you with and out forums should be able to find how others have coped.

Wishing you patience and peace,
Dr. Dan
Proof Positive Blog @ PsychCentral



from Ask the Therapist https://ift.tt/2NBR4CM
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment