Wednesday 26 October 2016

Can My Therapist Tell My Grandma…?

If I am 19, what can my therapist tell my grandma? My grandma takes me to appointments. I am a type one diabetic with a history (been in treatment 7 times) of purging, restriction and not taking my insulin to lose weight. Can my therapist tell my grandma that I need to go to the ER for my very dangerous uncontrolled diabetes?

A. Unless you have explicitly signed a legal agreement allowing your therapist to tell your grandmother about your therapy sessions, your therapist cannot reveal information about your case to anyone. Therapy sessions are confidential.

There might come a time, however, when your grandmother learns about your dire health situation. It likely won’t be from your therapist directly, but rather after medical intervention, when necessary, due to your refusal to eat or take life-sustaining insulin. Your therapist is legally bound to initiate involuntary commitment procedures in cases where clients are engaging in behavior that endangers their lives.

You are focused on the wrong issues. You should be less concerned about your grandmother finding out about your secrets and more concerned about saving your life. Eating disorders and diabetes, when left untreated, are deadly. This is a matter of life or death. It’s imperative that you do what’s necessary to save your life. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle



from Ask the Therapist http://ift.tt/2dJCxhr
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment