Wednesday 26 October 2016

My Parents Think It’s Normal. Are They Right?

From a teen in England: I am really worried about a lot of stuff. I’m afraid if anyone who’s close to me is late (Even 2 minutes late). I try my best to block it out but it takes over most of the time. Also I hate the way I look. I hate the size of my breasts (normally girls would love to have my breasts). I also get really sad for no reason. It just happens spontaneously. I have problems coping with these emotions as well.

I told my mom this and she says that everyone gets worried and I agree. But I don’t think she understands the same way I feel and I love my mom to bits. I really do think there is something wrong with me. I don’t know what. My Sanity score says that I have 5 serious conditions.

I know I should believe in my parents more than a test (Unless its from a doctor). But it’s stuck in my head and I want to start somewhere and I think this is the best place to start and to see if I really do need to see if there is something wrong with me?

Is my mother right? Is it just normal? Or do I have something going on with me?

A: I don’t know who is right. I do know that what you are describing is what I hear from many teens. It’s part of adolescence to be worried about your looks, to have unstable emotions and to be anxious about many things. It’s a stage of life where self-esteem is shaky. You are involved in figuring out life and your place in it — not an easy task.

If you continue to be concerned about your mental health, the first stop is with your doctor. Sometimes extreme emotions are a result of hormone imbalances. Sometimes a person like yourself is over-worried because you have no way to know that what you are feeling is within the range of normal. Your doctor does know and can treat you if necessary or reassure you if things are fine.

I doubt very much that you have 5 serious conditions. The Sanity Score is not a diagnosis. It is intended to help people narrow down their concerns so they can do further research. In your case, your doctor is your best resource.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie



from Ask the Therapist http://ift.tt/2dJfd8c
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment