Wednesday 29 March 2017

Social Worker Month: 10 Reasons for Social Workers to Stand Up

10 Reasons to Love Social WorkAs some of you know, March is National Social Work month; it was officially recognized as such by the White House in 1984. Since 1984, the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) has been selecting a different topic to focus on each year. This year, NASW is promoting the theme: “Social Workers Stand Up,” as a way for social workers to take pride in their profession, and help inform others about what social work is all about.

To that end, I asked 25 social workers what they love most about their work. They were limited to responses of 100 words or less. In 25 Social Workers Share Why They Love Social Work!, professionals’ responses and the different aspects of work they mentioned were categorized to give ‘big picture’ results. This, in turn, illustrated that social workers love the field because they view it as providing them with: job/career versatility, ability to heal/problem solve, opportunities to work with and train inspiring colleagues, and prospects to make the world a better place, all within a social justice framework.

For purposes of both clarity and brevity, the original post contained 15 of the 25 wonderful quotes provided by social workers. This post provides you with the remaining 10 inspiring quotes in both text and graphic form.

10 Inspiring Social Work Quotes

“The things I love about being a social worker is the ability to be flexible and use your own creativity within the profession.  You aren’t narrowed down to one set of group of individuals to work with.  There is always variety and excitement in our job.  The ability to reach an individual with your special talents is rewarding and at the end of the day you know you have made a difference in someone’s life.  Problem solvers, innovators, risk takers, change agents, “we are social workers!”

@socialworkpad, MSW, M.Ed, and MA.TESL

“What I love most about social work is that when I grow and change the profession allows me to express this in my career no matter where my path leads.”

Ellen Belluomini, LCSW
Lecturer, Higher Education Consultant, Innovator

“It’s hard to quantify what social work means to me. It is often misunderstood because the role can be so broad from work in child and adult protection, disabilities and mental health, community work, international development work and more. We may work for government agencies, charities or independently. Fundamentally, what makes social work different from other professions is the value base which underpins the work we do. It has given me a purpose, a profession and a sense of belonging within the community of inspiring and dynamic people who have trodden the paths before me and continue to alongside me.”

@ermintrude2
U.K. Social Worker

“What I love most about being a social worker is working with other social workers and, as a social work teacher, growing the next generation of social workers. Social workers are some of the most caring, devoted, hard-working, passionate, woke, and FUNNY people I know!”

Karen Zgoda, MSW, LCSW
Instructor, Researcher, Editor

“What I love about social work is the versatility it affords me to work with a wide variety of individuals, using a range of approaches. I am privileged to be let into people’s lives as witness not only to their struggles, but also their resilience. Now as a counselor and therapist, my interventions are often informed by social work approaches.  Focusing on people’s values and their strengths help them take more responsibility and control over their lives. Seeing people overcome difficulties, make changes and grow beyond what they believed they could is the reason I keep doing this work.”

Dima Dupéré, MSW, RSW
Psychotherapy Services / Services de psychothérapie

“I love so many things about being a social worker.  I love the opportunity to help people choose to change their lives.  I love the fact that my social work colleagues share similar values and beliefs to my own.  I love knowing that those who choose to become social workers do so with the shared purpose of helping others and making a difference.  I certainly love being a social worker because it allowed me to recognize the need to create Financial Social Work and to be able to help all social workers and their clients to increase their financial wellbeing.”

Reeta Wolfsohn, CMSW
Center for Financial Social Work

“I like to bring people hope.  I find it rewarding when clients leave my office a little more lighter than when they came in.”

Steve Whitmore, LMSW
Thriveworks Counseling

“I love helping people! If I can’t help them, I try to steer in the right direction to find the information and resources they need. Age 0-6 is the most important and formative years in a child life, and social work is the profession that creates programs to help aid families and protect children from scars that may affect them for the rest of their life. If a child is denied needed resources such as food, shelter, developmental education, and ability to live free from abuse, this child’s chances of benefiting from the best public or private education is diminished.”

Deona Hooper, MSW
Founder and Editor-in-Chief, Social Work Helper

“Social work is a great profession because we start with where people are at and then we work with, never for, people to imagine where they could be while always working to pursue both justice and opportunity. The ability to aspire towards being both just, accessible, and respecting culture makes Social Work a great career.”

Mozart Guerrier, MSW
Executive Director of 21 Progress

“The thing that I love most about being a social worker is having the constant opportunity to encourage, empower and to educate individuals. As a social worker, I can walk around a parking lot with an aged woman in efforts to locate her car (pushing the panic button on her key chain), while entertaining three of her grandchildren and no one will think twice about my actions. I love that being a social worker allows me to be something like a Super Girl.”

Nathalie P. Jones, PhD, MSW
Assistant Professor, Tarleton State University

 

References:

NASW (2017). Social work month 2017. Retrieved from http://ift.tt/2obGh57

NASW (2012). The History of social work month. Retrieved from:

http://ift.tt/2ohVlLk

 



from Psych Central Professional http://ift.tt/2obymom
via https://ifttt.com/ IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment